A Travellerspoint blog

Under a month to go!

A bit about training down in London

So in less than a months time I will be heading to South Africa for three months!! Ahhh! Even typing that makes my stomach lurch a little bit as I know these next few weeks are just got to fly by. Better get packing!

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me fundraise over the last few months. Your support has meant so much to me. If you would still like to donate to my page you can do so by clicking on this link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Ruth-Brady1. I thought a great way to keep you all updated on what I am doing out in South Africa would be by writing a blog. So here is the first instalment :)

At the beginning of August I had a very busy, yet fun week down in London for my pre-departure training. The training consisted of four very full on days led by the Tearfund Team in a church called St Johns Hampton Wick (which was non-surprisingly in Hampton Wick). For those of you who don't know much about Tearfund, they are a fantastic development charity whose passion and aim is to help the poorest and most vulnerable communities in the world. They focus upon empowering the church in those communities to speak out against injustice and be vehicles for real positive change in their communities - I suppose something every church in every community should be doing! If you would like to find out more about Tearfund and their work follow this link: http://www.tearfund.org.

The four days consisted of lots of fantastic and slightly daunting sessions about what we will be doing in South Africa and what we should expect from the Tearfund ICS programme. I met some wonderful people and am really excited about working with them in a months time. At the moment we could be based in two areas of South Africa - KwasZulu Natal (the province where Durban is located) and a northern province called Limpopo. In both areas we will be working with a charity called Zoe-Life, a South African charity whose mission is to 'transform the options available for vulnerable communities affected by disease, poverty and injustice'. We could be working on various projects from education to gardening (better get some tips from you Mum!) and will be living with a local host family whilst taking part in these projects. Apparently the Zulu culture take great pride in appearance so you even have to make your bed a certain way - think I'm going to struggle with this as being neat and tidy aren't things which come naturally to me! Whilst out in South Africa, my team will be made up of British and South African volunteers and one of the SA volunteers will be living with me and the host family. So I will certainly be fully immersed in the culture and community. About 80% of me just wants to get out there now while the other 20% is slightly scared. But what is life without a little bit of risk!?

Sometimes in life it can feel like there is so much injustice and cruelty in the world that no matter what we do, nothing will ever change or get better. I definitely feel like that when I watch or read the news everyday. But this wonderful quote from Mother Teresa makes me realise that all we have to do is play our part:

'Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love'

I am really looking forward to being a part of the Tearfund volunteer programme - hopefully by doing the small things we will be able to make big things happen!

image

image

Posted by Ruthiebrady 11:56 Archived in United Kingdom

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint